Well, after watching this video I am excited. I love that a student does not have to attend class and still learn. I think this is a great opportunity for students to think outside the box and learn from others. The part in the video where the boy found a lecture from a college professor from Berkley that talks about his major. I think that everyone should have more than one teacher. Students can learn more about their major through the internet and through other teachers. One professors views on a subject may be completley differnt than anothers. I tend to learn more when I go to class. I sometimes have a hard time getting things done when I do not have any motivation. Going to class also breaks my day up and it seems to go by faster. Since I am planning to teach young children, I dont think I will use this technique. Children need to learn structure before they are sent out to do things for themselves.
2. A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
Her blogging experince and her PLE is pretty neat. I wasnt aware of all the different things you could put on there. I have started on PLN and I do not have a lot of things on there. I am not a computer savy as I would like to be. My EDM310 class has opened my eyes though to a whole new world of the internet and all the differnt things it has to offer.
3. two critiques of smartboards.
Michael Staton, Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative- I can completley agree with this blog. I do think it can get expensive and sometimes the old way works best. I found this website talking about how the Smarboards are useful and why they should be used. http://www.waukeshaschools.com/WIT/smartBoard/benefits.htm
Bill Ferriter, Why I Hate Interactive WhiteboardsI think it would be easier for me to use a smartboard for my classroom becuase I plan on teaching younger children. I think the SmartBoard is better geared toward the younger audience because it is interactive and it can be used for more things that children can relate to.
Hey Casey! I, like you can not wait to use smart boards in my elementary class one day. I think that it is more ueful for younger children because of the interaction that is involved.
ReplyDeleteThe 7th graders PLE was CRAZY! I am like you, can work my way around the internet but did not know, until this class, about all you can do. I haven't started on my PLN yet but I am sure at first it will not be as impressive as hers.
By the way....I LOVE your background! :)
"I think that everyone should have more than one teacher. S" An excellent point. I had never thought of it that way. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYour PLN will grow. You will be glad that you have started thing about the resources that are available to you! They have been there all along. When we become conscious of their presence, and of their importance, they become more powerful.
"...sometimes the old way works best." Sometimes. Sometimes other new ways work better.
Abby... I think you reversed Casey's position on smartboards. I did not find her eager to use them at all!