Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blog Post #10

Like Ms. Morgan Bayda, I have had many of my college classroom experiences like the situations Dan was talking  about in his video posted on her blog. I am in class with 50+ students and the professor doesn't bother to make eye contact with me or any of the other students. He just stares straight ahead at the board and talks. Some times I can't even hear or understand what he/she is saying and it's very frustrating! Morgan also makes a great point in her post when she talks about not being encouraged to speak out loud and engage in the topic. I too agreed with many of the topics Dan was talking about during his video. He said that he spent hundreds of dollars on textbooks for courses that he never even opened. I can feel his frustration with that one. Spending way to much money on books is just ridiculous! I too have been able to find more information on the internet and books for free!

hangmanMr. Johnson post was a good one for sure .I know there is so much technology available out there for student It seems silly with all of the technology that is available to students today, but if you take it away for a moment and hand the students a piece of paper and pen then their minds seem to wonder and they become very creative and seem to enjoy it. The students are still having to use spelling and vocabulary and use critical thinking skills. I think just going back to old ways can produce so much more than anyone could imagine.

2 comments:

  1. Casey,
    I think you and I had the same thoughts about Mr. Johnson's post. He seemed to have an excellent point about technology. I am all about doing it old school in the classroom. But I also want to help my students grow in their technology usage. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many books required, purchased and then never used. Too much money when we are approaching a time in which all information is free. These are common complaints. I hope we can address them here at South.

    Did you realize that Tom Johnson's post was a metaphor Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home in which pencils were computers? You were close to that opinion, and maybe had it but did not state it.

    I will complete my post Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity) later this week. After this post appears on the Class Blog you will be required to leave a comment. Watch the Class Blog for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete